Master of Human Computer Interaction + Design, University of Washington, Seattle
2017-2018 GPA: 3.9/4
BTech. in Information and Communication Technology, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Ahmedabad
2012-2016 CGPA: 3.51/4
- Focus Groups
- Design Evaluation
- Ethnographic Research
- Task Analysis
- Contextual Inquiry
- Semi-structured Interview
- Data Analysis
- Experiment Design
- Collaborative Ideation
- Wire framing
- Flow Diagramming
- Data Visualization
- Rapid Prototyping
- Spec Work
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Premiere Pro
Technology and Programming
- Machine Learning and NLP
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
The Seattle Times | Graduate Student UX Researcher and Designer | 3.2018 - 8.2018
- Conducting semi-structured interviews, ethnographic research, cultural probes and futures workshops to understand local news consumption habits and participatory journalism
- The goal is to distill insights in order to design a novel news reading experience
HTC Creative Labs | Graduate Student UX Researcher | 1.2018 - 3.2018
- Recruited participants, designed and conducted surveys, interviews, think aloud sessions and usability tests for the HTC Vive Pro Virtual Reality Headset
- Created affinity boards, coded interviews and distilled insights to further improve the information architecture of the virtual space
Startup Kahinee: A Rural Healthcare Initiative using Voice Assisted Services | Founder and UX Designer | 11.2015 - 7.2016
- The goal of the startup was to provide medical awareness to uneducated under-privileged women through storytelling and local folktales
- Led ethnographic research, interviews, culture probe activities and focus groups with mothers, community healthworkers (ASHA) and doctors in remote villages of India
- Ideated and developed the free Voice Assisted Mobile System
- Created prototypes that collected cloud-based call data for analysis with machine learning based enhancements.
- The service was provided to Harvard based NGO ‘Barakat Bundle’ for their project in collaboration with Indian Institute of Public Health (IIPH) and SEWA Rural in the tribal parts of Gujarat, India
- Won the ‘Innovative Trainer of the Year’ award
Genesis Artificial Intelligence Pvt. Ltd. | UX Researcher and Product Designer | 6.2016 - 4.2017
- Designed and developed customized chatbots for local businesses
- Conducted ethnographic research of local businesses
- Led semi-structured interviews of users and customer service agents
- Developed working prototypes using machine learning algorithms such as neural networks
- Designed conversational user interfaces for the chatbots
Teach For India and Awaaz.De | UX Designer | 5.2015 - 7.2015
- Carried out user survey and analysis of TFI fellows
- Led ethnographic research in order to understand local classroom setups and teaching methods used by municipal school teachers
- Designed a mobile-based community network for resolution of concerns and questions of “Teach for India” fellows and municipal school teachers
- The platform’s was designed to help teachers learn how to handle child psychology issues such as ADHD
- Designed audio scripts for teachers’ training modules
Gentlewasher | UX Research Intern | 1.2013 -5.2013
- Designed and conducted surveys, semi-structured interviews and ethnographic study sessions
- Created affinity boards, coded interviews and distilled insights
Detecting Carcinogenicity of Chemical Compounds on DNA using Machine Learning
Worked with the Sasaki dataset having data about the carcinogenicity of chemical compounds on DNA of different organs of rats. Interacted with toxicologists to understand it in depth. For this, I used linear and non-linear regression models to understand, assess and explain the relationships between the affected DNA's tail length and the chemical compounds in question. These relationships were then used to predict the missing data. Selected amongst 6 contestants chosen globally in Professor Andrew Ng’s #LearnML contest. Article Link: https://blog.coursera.org/post/135215105522/andrew-ng-announces-winners-of-learnml-contest#_=_
Data for Improved Governance - DIG (MIT & Ahmedabad University)
I am working for Dr. Chintan Vaishnav (Professor, MIT’s Sloan School of Management) and Xiaoyuan "Charlene" Ren (Graduate student of Technology and Policy Program, MIT) for their research project. The project, titled "India Water Quality and Sanitation Monitoring: Interactions and Gaps of Monitoring Systems", aims to explore inter-linkages between sanitation, water quality and health information, and then integrate them to improve decision-making in situations such as heath outbreaks caused by waterborne diseases. The research is in the context of Gujarat, India. I have recently worked on data collection and processing for the project, with the aim of building appropriate data models.
Machine Learning based Classification of Cyclin Proteins (Bio-Informatics)
Classified (in a team of 4) given protein sequences as Cyclin proteins or non-Cyclin proteins. The features used for classification were Amino Acids (20 features), Dipeptide bonds (400 features), Secondary Structure Composition (SSC), Position Specific Substitution Matrix (PSSM) Composition and Hybrid composition. Used Support Vector Machine (SVM) classifiers for this purpose with Linear, Polynomial, RBF and Sigmoidal kernels.
Study of Behavioral Patterns of People at Venture Studio (A startup incubation centre) (Ethnography)
Observed, interviewed and analyzed founders, employees and mentors, along with their working styles, of a variety of startups at Venture Studio, Centre for Innovative Business Design, Ahmedabad University, India. Derived patterns and implications about the behavior and working styles of these people at such start-ups.
Face Detection & Tracking in Video Streaming (Machine Learning + Big Data Algorithms & Optimization)
Studied and implemented a number of algorithms like Karhunen Loeve Transform (KLT), PCA and Camshift for real time face detection and tracking in live video streaming. Achieved Face Detection and Tracking in videos being streamed at up to 20 frames per second.
Aashro (Support) - Smart Home Android Based Model Device for the Elderly (Embedded Systems)
Developed (in a team of 2) a model low cost smart home device, operated by an Android application using Bluetooth, to control fans and lights. Bluetooth was chosen to reduce cost. This was targeted towards elderly users in developing countries like India. Used the AVR Atmega micro controller, designed to be installed at the switchboard to receive the desired signals from the Android application through Bluetooth and to accordingly control the switching of lights and fans as well as fan speed.
White Line Detector Robot (Analog Circuits & Systems)
Developed a white line detector robot using a Light Dependent Resistor (LDR) that alters its resistance based on the light reflected by the white line. This altered the current and, in turn, changed the individual motor speeds of the robot’s wheels.
HTours - Elderly Virtual Travel Experience Project (User Centered Design 2)
This project aimed at creating a virtual travel experience for the elderly who are unable to travel because of health issues. Carried out detailed user analysis studying their health issues as well as preferred leisure activities and built user persona. Proposed a multi-sense audio-visual-smell-feel experience for this purpose and made a paper prototype of the same.
E-learning Game Design (User Centered Design 1)
Designed a game to teach fractions to Indian children in the age group of 4-12 using objects and scenarios from an Indian child's environment and culture. For example, scenarios of Indian markets and vendors cutting slices of fruits were used. Ideated the game through sketches and made paper prototypes.